World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer radio interviews while in exile from the US

Gordonline

World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer radio interviews while in exile from the US

Post by Gordonline »

1972 - 1975 World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer, widely considered to be the greatest chess player of all time, had been persecuted by the US government since 1992 when he did not oblige with an executive order that embargoed Yugoslavia and prohibited Americans from having financial activity there. What happened was Fischer was set to play in Yugoslavia for what was claimed to be a "world title bout" between him and former world champion Boris Spassky; when he received an order from the government to call off the event, this was his response:

After two decades of living in secrecy, semi-isolation and increasingly distressed obscurity, Bobby Fischer, the former world chess champion, was arrested Friday by Japanese immigration authorities in Tokyo and accused of trying to leave the country without a valid passport.
Link to article

This is a Radio interview held on February 19th, 2005 while he was being detained in a Japanese prison:
Last edited by Gordonline on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Hardest R I've ever heard." - Anonymous

"Pick your clothes off the bathroom floor. I've told you several times now." - Sweet Mother

- This post has been certified and approved by
Gordonline
All the time™

YouTube
Odysee
Telegram
Twitter
Chess.com
Gordonline

Re: World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer radio interviews while in exile from the US

Post by Gordonline »

The latest thing they’ve done is - I’ve had some stuff in storage back in Pasadena for 12 years, spent a fortune on storage fees, a fortune on buying safes – and, and, and – expensive file cabinets and movies and so on, and putting it all together over, like 30 years, and these God damn Jews in America have just gone and grabbed it all!
Upset after losing all his prized belongings, Bobby Fischer is interviewed on Radio Calypso, broadcast nation-wide in Hungary on Jan 13, 1999:

"Pick your clothes off the bathroom floor. I've told you several times now." - Sweet Mother

Gordonline
All the time™

YouTube
Odysee
Telegram
Twitter
Chess.com
super

Re: World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer radio interviews while in exile from the US

Post by super »

Bobby's trick of being the only chess player worth remembering does wonders for the chess community. Basically the new testament of chess
Gordonline

Post by Gordonline »

I have uploaded all Bobby Fischer radio interviews onto a mega folder to download here - https://mega.nz/folder/GixEmQKa#n_aXCcvqsIp1dmtxa7yUJg
I am going to be transcribing and uploading them on my channel soon.

Missing only one part of an interview which is part three of the interview on 8-9-2000 in Baguio, Philippines.

Shout out to http://bobbyfischerpage.tripod.com/ for having all the interviews up in the wayback archive
Here's an archive of the website if it doesn't work for you - https://web.archive.org/web/20131008044 ... ripod.com/

Gordonline
All the time™

YouTube
Odysee
Telegram
Twitter
Chess.com
Gordonline

Post by Gordonline »

Fischer on Jan 14th, 1999 - Bombo Radio (Baguio, Philippines)

Gordonline
All the time™

YouTube
Odysee
Telegram
Twitter
Chess.com